Tuesday 28 January 2014

Diving into Colour

Hi everyone!

 I am here today diving into colour - or at least attempting to! The results were a bit hit and miss (in my eyes) I am very set into neutrals at the moment (a lot are to come in Feb - all scheduled and ready to go!)....so I figured if I am ever to get out of the brown mood, I needed to just take a deep breath and dive right in...


    So I chose some brights - I had two Distress inks that had barely been used since I bought them - Peacock Feathers and Mowed Lawn - I find these colours quite scary and I think I ordered them by mistake to be honest!!! When they arrived my first thought was "What was I thinking?!!".....I added some Broken China and I was determined to stay away from browns!

    I started with some Peacock Feathers, Mowed Lawn and Broken China DI's dabbed onto the craft mat and some Picket Fence DP dabbed on as well. A few spritzes of water and then I placed some card onto the paint/inky puddle and smooshed it around. A bit of drying with the heat gun and some more dabs later and I had a lovely marbled effect. I dabbed some extra Mowed lawn and Peacock Feathers DI (now the colours were really bright!) and did some spritz and flick...


   I dabbed some Peacock feathers and Mowed Lawn DI over the Dot Fade stencil and then added some Picket Fence DP through the stencil as well.



















I stamped some TH stamps in Potting Soil Archival ink




















..........and stamped a bubble wrap stamp using Peacock Feathers DI.



      I got some corrugated card and tore some pieces away to reveal the texture.


    I then painted over it with Gesso. When the Gesso had dried I stuck on some text tissue paper and painted this over with very watered down Gesso.



I then used some of the TH transfers and afterwards toned them down with watered down Gesso.

























    I tore the original inked and stamped page and used the excess strips from either side as decoration on the tag. I stuck down the two thin strips first, sprayed them with a little Cosmic Shimmer Spray in 'Patina' and then I stuck the stamped section on top.



      At this point I didn't really like it. The white gesso background was too harsh and I wanted a more shabby effect. Thinking I had messed it up, I rather angrily began just dabbing Mowed Lawn and Peacock Feathers DI randomly along the edges of the tag, occasionally dabbing over the strips and the main image too.....after a while I began to realise I did quite like how it looked and decided that, while it might not look how I intended it to, I should at least finish it.



     So I decided to use some words stamped with an alphabet stamp - 'Embrace Imperfection' seemed  right for this creation and I stamped with Cornflower Blue Archival ink and then blended some Vintage Photo over it after distressing the edges with a pair of scissors. (sorry brown had to come in
somewhere!)...



 ....and I couldn't resist some TH idea-ology Metal Foliage Flowers....


Rusty wire formed the loop at the top of the tag and I used two small beads to decorate it.




Hope you like it!
Thanks so much for being here - hope to see you again soon!






 photo temp3_zpsf37f8b2d.png
Follow on Bloglovin

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful hanging Laura, your dive into colour has been a definite success ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like it? LOVE IT!! Ok, so the colours are bright, but the combination is just stunning with all those layers and subtle stencilling. I totally adore it!! You should play with colour more often, you can do it so well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous! Love those colours and your choice of stamps and stencils to create those lovely layers - perfection surely? Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those bright colours blend so well together, its a beautiful hanging.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stepping out of your comfort zone has certainly paid off Laura! You would never know that your project didn't turn out as planned. The colours are fabulously intense yet you've still captured your signature shabby style. Beautiful combination of interesting textures in your background and the metal embellies are the perfect finishing touch. Well done you! MMx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Miss Laura, well your dive was a perfect 10, those colors are gorgeous, might be they are my favorite colors, but I think everyone will love them, they are blended so beautifully, I really love those browns too hard to get away from them:), eekkks your order, a mistake, NEVER, look what you have done with them, GORGEOUS, those drops are exciting, all that beautiful stamping, looooove the stenciling, the tissue with the writing sooooo fabulous, this is full of creativity, I have 6 tags to make, these have inspired me loooooots, thanks for sharing also couple of boxes you and Miss Julie Ann has inspired me to create, my desk is really busy :O), ((( BIG HUGS)))... Have a wonderful week, I am excited to see what you have created, waiting in the wings

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to see people visiting so I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment for me - Thank you!