Wednesday 24 July 2013

String Flowers


  Hello there!

      Hope you are sitting comfortably - Get a cuppa because here is a very picture heavy post! Today I am showing you a step-by-step. I don't usually do this as I find crafting so absorbing of my attention that I forget to pick up the camera and several stages get missed out - which makes a step-by-step pointless.....Today I can however share one where I did manage to stay focused on the camera....(well for the majority of it at least!)

     
      So here we go!......I loved adding the string swirls to the 'Hearts are for Loving' creation so wanted to re-visit that technique in more detail. I began with ...........



.........A pencil, piece of wood, hemp string and Mod Podge or PVA glue


 Draw any design you like! I chose flowers and tried to keep the images as simple as possible here. The more intricate the design the harder it is to attach the string......

                          

Apply the glue to the area you are working on. Try to keep it to small areas to give yourself time to work before the glue dries.


It is much easier to work in small sections rather than coping with long lengths of string.....




          All done and waiting to be completely dry........

..........One good thing is that the design isn't set in stone here...No one will know what is underneath when it is finished. As you can see here I have made several changes to the original design......Notice one flower (the most difficult part) - got changed into an easy swirl!!!


     The most important thing about this is to take your time - I actually really love spending time on intricate things like this and where attention to detail is required I usually have the patience of a saint! BUT...here I will admit to using some very naughty words and walking away counting to ten! I swear sometimes it was almost as if the string was having a tantrum "Nope! I am not sticking to this glue and there is NOTHING you can do to make me!"

Tip - Tweezers and toothpick are handy tools for getting the string to behave itself stay in place


Painting time!


 I covered the board with a layer of Snowflake Fresco paint which gives a lovely chalky finish...


         All done....now what next?


  Melange Tissue wrap.....covered with watered down Snowflake Fresco paint.....whoops!......nearly forgot to pick up the camera!


I chose my newest Fresco Paints....

    .........and I dabbed the paints all over the right side of the hanging, blending with a sponge....


I dry brushed some Chocolate Pudding Fresco Paint to add some definition


Then I dry brushed some Snowflake Fresco Paint to add highlights and a bit of a vintage shabby effect


      I rubbed on some Treasure Gold in White Fire to highlight the flowers and the edges.....Hmmm....seems I am gradually losing the gorgeous tissue wrap on here - This often happens, you get an idea and then it evolves and sometimes things get cast aside. I was sorry that I got to carried away with painting :o(

      I am always like this with dry brushing - I can't stop! I add layer after layer and usually go around in circles adding dark and then light before repeating it again...and again!

     

After a bit more paint I felt that the two sides needed balancing - so I selected a flourish stamp and stamped in Coffee Archival ink down the left side......

       When it came to finally decorating this I totally forgot about the camera!!!......

    Never mind - Here is the finished creation....




            I painted some card with Stone Fresco Paint and stamped the quote with an alphabet stamp using coffee Archival ink. A few strands of twine were tied into bows and added. the green bow is remnants from bridesmaid cress alterations from my wedding last year. I used some more twine wrapped around rusty wire to be able to hang this up.






        Thanks for wading through this post! Hope you liked it!

             See you soon!

     







Follow on Bloglovin

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful,thanks for the tutorial.
    Gr Elly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely stunning Laura ! What a fantastic way to add texture and dimension. Great tutorial ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brilliant idea! Thanks for the step by step instructions too. Hope to give this a try very soon. Love, Margie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job!! Love the string flowers. I am going to have to try that..only on a much, much, much smaller scale...lol!

    The piece turned out so beautiful and I love the sentiment you chose.

    Happy Crafting
    Tracie
    http://homeofthepurskey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous, Laura, and thanks for the step by step, I can't wait to have a go
    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial Laura and the string flower looks super cool! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic project. It was a super tutorial as well.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. BRILLIANT Miss Laura, it is gorgeous, the finished make is just fantastic, love the colors, the shine,the texture, fabulous tutorial, now if I can just get someone to draw anything on the board, surely I can follow it with the string:O), thanks for sharing this gorgeous make and the how to, have a wonderful day..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! What a great technique,

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. So gorgeous!! Thank you so much for sharing. Hugs, Suzanne x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Laura, Gorgeous project and the technique looks very interesting, thanks for the tutorial.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to see people visiting so I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment for me - Thank you!